I am a motivational keynote speaker known for delivering powerful, inspiring, enriching, and thought-provoking speeches for CEOs, directors, and government officials. I combine 3 key areas that make unique speeches - senior executive experience, professional speaking expertise, and field journalism.
National Speakers Association USA since 2003
I have been a professional member in the National Speakers Association USA since 2003 (very few in Asia/Singapore), and was one of the pioneers in the local chapter (Asia Speakers Association, Singapore).
If you like me to spice up your client's next seminar or training workshop, or to rejuvenate your client's employees and managers, let me help make that event a success - and in turn, earn your friendship! Do note meeting planners will enjoy "meeting planners' rates."
I have been frequently engaged as a professional fee-based keynote presenter, motivational and inspirational speaker, meeting facilitator, Internet strategist, business consultant, executive coach and mentor, market and technology researcher, and curriculum developer. I am open to speaking and consulting throughout Asia Pacific (including Singapore), Australia, North America, and Europe.
Here's a short compilation of video segments of keynotes and training deliveries.
Media Training Primer™ (with Crisis Management)
This is a succinct media training program for busy senior executives and CXOs. The primer will help the CXO understand the paradigm shift of a business leader to that of a media spokesperson, which have different requirements. The primer will go through both the human and the technical aspects of being a spokesperson, and prepare the CXO to be ready for any media interview, whether it be print (dailies/magazines), online, at "live" events and conferences, or on TV and radio. The short primer will end with a mock TV interview and the CXO can examine his "media appearance" with the facilitator.
- Selling vs Telling
- The Media's agenda
- Fundamental questions
- Interview preparation (for print, online, TV/radio, events)
- What to say and provide to the media
- Interview dynamics
- Working in tandem with the journalist
- Difficult questions
- Crisis management basics with CRM (crew resource management) and TEM (threat and error management) from aviation and medicine
- Crisis communication basics
- Mock interview
IntrinSelling™ Primer - Sales Training
We have developed corporate sales training programs since the 1990s, for multinational corporations and emerging companies alike. If your company needs a quick primer to inspire your salespeople, the IntrinSelling™ Primer is your fastest route to sales effectiveness, developed and trained by our lead trainer Seamus Phan:
- Can a 10-year old sell?
- Mind over matter
- Understanding the Behavior of Buying
- Primary and Secondary buying desires
- 3-step Sales Cycle
- Credibility in the sales proceess
- What is the Greatest Motivator?
- Non-Verbal Communication in sales
- Power of Mimicry
- Types of Customers and the Lingo
- 18-minute wonder
- Case Studies (for custom training programs)
Servant Leadership with Aviation CRM
NOTE: This program can be customized for corporations as well. In the airline industry, safety is paramount. With automation and methodical pilot training, things may be relegated to machines and checklists. But what happens when extraordinary and "out-of-scope" abnormal conditions challenge pilots in the flightdeck? Do they rise up to exemplary and extraordinary leadership? This revised and improved training program, based on Seamus' earlier work to teach "what's next" leadership to corporations, is adapted for the airlines, with references to CRM, MCC, air safety, pilot selection and training, and pilot transition to leadership. The program is thought-provoking for participants to examine and integrate the wisdom of the samurai and early kingdoms, from the works such as Hagakure, Gorinosho, and the Three Kingdoms.
- The WHY of leadership
- CRM and its effects
- Pilot profile, assessment and selection
- Psychological profile and competencies
- Learning from the East
- Historical Three Kingdoms and lessons to be learned
- Leaders are warriors
- Learning from 17th century classic Hagakure
- Learning from 350-years old classic Gorinosho by Musashi
- Power of mindfulness in leadership
- Benevolent leadership that leapfrogs the ordinary
- Footprint business card™
I spoke in a 20-minute TED-style talk at the APATS 2016 (Asia Pacific Airline Training Symposium) in Singapore, based on the Servant Leadership for Airlines program we have. I was privileged to receive nice audience comments and accolades.
"The Human Factors session (the last session on Day 1) saw a nearly packed house held captive by Dr Seamus Phan of The McGallen & Bolden Group...; that set the stage for Dr Seamus Phan to work magic with his delightful time travel presentation wherein he linked philosophies from Ancient China and Japan to Leadership lessons for modern-day aviation organisations." (source: Sanjay Mahendrakumar Mukherjee)
"I was at the conference and this speech was very inspiring and fun at the same time. Great performance!" (source: Capt J Drappier)
Leadership Secrets at 30,000 Feet
Through spending a few years dabbling and learning within the Boeing B737NG and the Airbus A320 FTDs, learning ground school, and conversations with retired veteran airline captain Michael Caston, a new workshop was born - "Leadership Secrets at 30,000 Feet". The workshop is highly experiential and hands-on, where CXOs, senior business leaders and managers, can be briefed on aviation best practices, and then apply these within a realistic flight simulator, instructed by real pilots, and then synergize and integrate these time and field-proven ideas back at running their businesses, more effectively and more profitably.
- Pre-Simulator Briefing
- Simulator session (Crew of 4, for a total group of 16)
- Pre-flight briefing (SOPs, checklists, briefings)
- Flight from A to B (Choice of departure/destination, day/night/weather)
- Engine start (Taxi, take-off, minor problem solving)
- Cruise (Problem solving, decision-making, teamwork, threats, errors, automation, etc)
- Descent (Passenger handling, landing scenarios, etc)
Smartphone Photo/Videography Primer™
The best camera is the camera you have in your pocket - your smartphone! And if you want to scale it up, get a good compact camera and bring it everywhere you go. Compact cameras can be APS-C, or Micro 4/3, for optimal image quality. Remember, photography or videography is NOT about megapixels or sensor size. It is not just about physics of light, but about emotion.
- Still Photography Primer
- Never shoot thinking you can "photoshop" them later
- Rule of thirds (how to use them, and how to break the rule)
- Metering modes (spot, average, etc)
- White balance (getting your colors right the first time)
- ISO speeds and "grain"
- Exposure (normal, low-key, high-key)
- Lenses (macro, wide, normal, and tele)
- Focus and aperture (depth of field or DoF)
- You don't need flash
- Backlight and the effects of exposure and positioning
- Shoot "right" for landscape, portraits, close-ups, and more
- Indoors and outdoors - pitfalls and solutions
- Videography Primer
- Video as an extension of still photography
- Good video is not about image, but audio
- Video hosting (YouTube, Vimeo, and more)
- Video resolution (DVD, HD to 4K)
- Microphone polar patterns and sound recording
- Livestreaming basics
- Editing basics (cuts-only, dissolves, and forget SFX)
- Video SEO
- Produce video documentaries
Before the program:
- I will meet once to analyze needs, current problems/challenges, objectives, and to gather information about your organization (or your client's). Phone, Skype or email communication can be arranged too.
- I will help identify preferred seating, lighting, A/V requirements, in advance.
- I will be easy to work with for travel and accommodation.
During the program:
- I will interact with the audience and involve them, if the program format depends on it.
- I will employ real-world examples, past experience, and multimedia, as much as possible within the context of the program.
- I will stay within the time frame, and generally offer more than specified in time and/or content.
- I understand that some circumstances may be beyond our control, and will adapt and be flexible.
After the program:
- I will be happy to answer questions and interact with the audience.
- I will encourage the audience to write in through email or keep in touch.
- I will be happy to stay for book autographs, if books are available on site.
- I will assist you in administering any evaluation of the program.
- I will be active in follow-through actions when asked for, within the limits of the program.
- "BIG thank you. You are really good and professional. I enjoyed especially the part where you interacted with the Keynote Speaker during Q&A. Cool!" - Emcee, large industry event.
- "You've been such a captivating speaker and my clients have given me nothing but praises about your presentation. :-)" - Opening keynote, IT security event.
- "Thank you for the very inspiring talk and for sharing your life story and experiences in business start-ups. Your audience was awed by your perseverance in pursuing your dreams." - Keynote, career event.
- "It was a pleasure having you, you were a wonderful presenter. I think your keynote was received very well and caused people to pause to ponder the 'larger issues in life'. It's always refreshing to know that there are beacons of truth and friends like you in the business world." - Keynote, regional corporate travel conference.
- "More interesting speakers like Seamus!" "Very informative, knowledgeable and interesting!" "Great speaker! Lively, interesting and enjoyable!" "His speech was exciting!" "Excellent!" - Keynote, government-led IT conference.
- "Wonderful talk! Very enlightening!" - Keynote, tech & branding event.
- "Excellent facilitation!" "Really cool facilitation!" "You did a really great job!" - Facilitator, government-led industry brainstorming event.
- "Very impressive moderation of the session!" "You did a great job!" - Facilitator, closed-door government-led CEO event.
- "Your presentation was great! Very interesting illustrations! The gameshow you led was highly commendable!" - Keynote & gameshow host, government-led conference (400+ people).
- "Excellent! Very interesting and informative! Well done, Seamus, for transforming a dry IT topic into an interesting session!" - Speaker, regional PR conference.
- "Great success! The audience just love your session!" - Keynote, eGov seminar.
- "Our privilege to have you. Thoroughly enjoyed your session." - Highest rated speaker at a government-led IT seminar (350+ people).
- "Most impressed with your professional presentation, interesting content and captivating delivery." - Keynote, national banking security & risk seminar.
- " Excellent! Great presentation!" - Keynote, IT symposium (1,000+ people).
- "Excellent in presentation and moderation!" - Moderator, IT conference.
- "Brilliant and informative!" - Keynote, regional Incentive Travel event (400+ people).
- "Excellent and impactful presentation!" - Keynote, administrators conference.
- "Excellent in both presentation and content!" - Speaker, IT conference.