I spoke on stage since 1977, speaking on history, performing illusions, and stage acting. I love the stage for what it brought to people – education and entertainment.
I spoke professionally since 1987 before corporate audiences. I have been frequently engaged as a professional keynote speaker, trainer and meeting facilitator, speaking on and facilitating topics such as leadership, strategy, marketing, Internet security, and digital media. I have also inspired audiences speaking on conquering physical, health and life challenges. Now and then, I mentor executives in developing business and technology strategies, especially in the areas of publicity, branding, and new media.
Clients have flown me around to locations throughout Asia Pacific, Australia, North America, and Europe. I am happy to consider any reasonable location to speak, to facilitate, or to consult.
Clients commented that my key strengths are my ability to deliver inspiring, thought-provoking and enriching content for CXOs, and bringing in light humor to temper the serious content. Clients also enjoy my wealth of industry and professional experience when facilitating challenging sessions with the precision and agility like a surgeon.
After my corporate stint in manufacturing, computing, financial services, and professional services, including designing a million-dollar customer service training program for a leading aviation services company, I went independent as a trainer, speaker, facilitator and curriculum developer, and have developed customized training programs for multinational corporations, including Fortune 1000 corporations and Nasdaq-listed technology firms, where I designed, developed and delivered custom curriculum for e-business, sales, marketing, teambuilding, and so on.
Here are some recent programs I have developed or co-developed, and delivered as a speaker/trainer, including some interactive video training programs for pilots found at flightleaders.com.
Media Training Primer™ (with Crisis Management) (2 – 4 hours)
This is a succinct media training program for busy senior executives and CXOs. The primer will help the CXO understand the paradigm shift of a business leader to that of a media spokesperson, which have different requirements. The primer will go through both the human and the technical aspects of being a spokesperson, and prepare the CXO to be ready for any media interview, whether it be print (dailies/magazines), online, at “live” events and conferences, or on TV and radio. The short primer will end with a mock TV interview and the CXO can examine his “media appearance” with the facilitator.
- Selling vs Telling
- The Media’s agenda
- Fundamental questions
- Interview preparation (for print, online, TV/radio, events)
- What to say and provide to the media
- Interview dynamics
- Working in tandem with the journalist
- Difficult questions
- Crisis management basics with CRM (crew resource management) and TEM (threat and error management) from aviation and medicine
- Crisis communication basics
- Mock interview
IntrinSelling™ Primer – Sales Training
We have developed corporate sales training programs since the 1990s, for multinational corporations and emerging companies alike. If your company needs a quick primer to inspire your salespeople, the IntrinSelling™ Primer is your fastest route to sales effectiveness, developed and trained by our lead trainer Seamus Phan:
- Can a 10-year old sell?
- Mind over matter
- Understanding the Behavior of Buying
- Primary and Secondary buying desires
- 3-step Sales Cycle
- Credibility in the sales proceess
- What is the Greatest Motivator?
- Non-Verbal Communication in sales
- Power of Mimicry
- Types of Customers and the Lingo
- 18-minute wonder
- Case Studies (for custom training programs)
Servant Leadership for Airlines (4 hours)
In the airline industry, safety is paramount. With automation and methodical pilot training, things may be relegated to machines and checklists. But what happens when extraordinary and “out-of-scope” abnormal conditions challenge pilots in the flightdeck? Do they rise up to exemplary and extraordinary leadership? This revised and improved training program, based on Seamus’ earlier work to teach “what’s next” leadership to corporations, is adapted for the airlines, with references to CRM, MCC, air safety, pilot selection and training, and pilot transition to leadership. The program is thought-provoking for participants to examine and integrate the wisdom of the samurai and early kingdoms, from the works such as Hagakure, Gorinosho, and the Three Kingdoms.
- The WHY of leadership
- CRM and its effects
- Pilot profile, assessment and selection
- Psychological profile and competencies
- Learning from the East
- Historical Three Kingdoms and lessons to be learned
- Leaders are warriors
- Learning from 17th century classic Hagakure
- Learning from 350-years old classic Gorinosho by Musashi
- Power of mindfulness in leadership
- Benevolent leadership that leapfrogs the ordinary
- Footprint business card™
I spoke in a 20-minute TED-style talk at the recent APATS 2016 (Asia Pacific Airline Training Symposium) in Singapore, based on the Servant Leadership for Airlines program we have. I was privileged to receive nice audience comments and accolades.
“The Human Factors session (the last session on Day 1) saw a nearly packed house held captive by Dr Seamus Phan of The McGallen & Bolden Group…; that set the stage for Dr Seamus Phan to work magic with his delightful time travel presentation wherein he linked philosophies from Ancient China and Japan to Leadership lessons for modern-day aviation organisations.” (source: Sanjay Mahendrakumar Mukherjee)
“Leadership Secrets at 30,000 Feet” Workshops
I learned how to pilot a Boeing 737NG through a FTD, learning to “fly solo”, coldstart, pushback, program the FMC, taxi, takeoff (depart), ascent, cruise, autopilot, descent, approach, land, and manage various crisis scenarios. I realized just how aviation and piloting best practices could be applied to business and leadership. Through conversations with retired veteran airline captain Michael Caston, a new workshop was born – “Leadership Secrets at 30,000 Feet”. The workshop is highly experiential and hands-on, where CXOs, senior business leaders and managers, can be briefed on aviation best practices, and then apply these within the B737NG flight simulator, instructed by real pilots, and then synergize and integrate these time and field-proven ideas back at running their businesses, more effectively and more profitably.
- Pre-Simulator Briefing
- Simulator session (Crew of 4, for a total group of 16)
- Pre-flight briefing (SOPs, checklists, briefings)
- Flight from A to B (Choice of departure/destination, day/night/weather)
- Engine start (Taxi, take-off, minor problem solving)
- Cruise (Problem solving, decision-making, teamwork, threats, errors, automation, etc)
- Descent (Passenger handling, landing scenarios, etc)
Smartphone Photo/Videography Primer™ (1 to 3 hours)
The best camera is the camera you have in your pocket – your smartphone! And if you want to scale it up, get a good compact camera and bring it everywhere you go. Compact cameras can be APS-C, or Micro 4/3, for optimal image quality. Remember, photography or videography is NOT about megapixels or sensor size. It is not just about physics of light, but about emotion.
- Still Photography Primer
- Never shoot thinking you can “photoshop” them later
- Rule of thirds (how to use them, and how to break the rule)
- Metering modes (spot, average, etc)
- White balance (getting your colors right the first time)
- ISO speeds and “grain”
- Exposure (normal, low-key, high-key)
- Lenses (macro, wide, normal, and tele)
- Focus and aperture (depth of field or DoF)
- You don’t need flash
- Backlight and the effects of exposure and positioning
- Shoot “right” for landscape, portraits, close-ups, and more
- Indoors and outdoors – pitfalls and solutions
- Videography Primer
- Video as an extension of still photography
- Good video is not about image, but audio
- Video hosting (YouTube, Vimeo, and more)
- Video resolution (DVD, HD to 4K)
- Microphone polar patterns and sound recording
- Livestreaming basics
- Editing basics (cuts-only, dissolves, and forget SFX)
- Video SEO
- Produce video documentaries
Keynotes & Breakfast Talks
If you like to inspire your senior executives and front-liners to conquer personal and organizational challenges, talk to me for a short, impactful, and enlightening keynote speech. If time is tight, get me in for an early morning wake-up presentation, based on some of my previous books:
- Leadership transition for airlines and pilots
- Public Relations (PR)
- Media Training & Crisis Communication (based on aviation best practices)
- Branding and marketing
- Social Media
- Conquering personal challenges to health
- Customer Service / Service Quality
Customized Workshops & Event Facilitation
Not all organizations are created alike. I believe in tailoring programs to suit the specific needs of my customers whenever possible.
Many large and small organizations have benefitted from my customized training and facilitation, whether these programs are in areas of management, quality, service, publicity or technology. I pride myself as an open, engaging, knowledgeable facilitator who can bring my own knowledge and expertise to lead the sessions effectively, and to bring out the best ideas and solutions out from your people during these sessions.
Whether you are a large multinational corporation, government agency, non-profit, an emerging enterprise, or a startup with great dreams, I will be happy to serve you!
Curriculum Development Expertise
What I can do for you as a curriculum developer is a special blend of the following:
- Field-proven corporate experience.
- Proven speaking and facilitation experience.
- Served very large corporations to startups.
- Wealth of business, journalism, research, technology, marketing, and branding experience.
- Culturally sensitive (East & West).
- Expert in developing classroom training, interactive media, video training, and new media materials.
What can I help you develop?
- Workshops of various duration.
- Games and interactive exercises.
- Case studies and discussions.
- Historical case stories for illustration.
- E-learning (Web-based, mobile, social media, etc)
You can choose to retain all rights, for a higher development fee; or choose to have the rights to use the program throughout your own organization, but cede ownership rights, for a much more affordable fee. I am very open and reasonable to requests.
So, if you need a curriculum development expert with a keen sense of audio-visual imagery, strong business, leadership and technology background, an adventurous spirit, as well as a fast turnaround time for a customized training program, let’s chat!
Emcee with 30 years industry experience
I am not just an emcee or host. I bring to you nearly 30 years of professional, industry, and consulting experience. I understand your business, I understand what is needed during “live” events and you can count on me to ensure a smooth execution and to fill in the empty spaces with my knowledge and experience. If you are in specialized fields such as information technology, Internet, biotech, medicine, pharmaceuticals, sciences, and anything high-tech, you can be sure that I can lend a powerful, compelling, believable and credible voice to your “live” events.
Voice talent – a soothing broadcast voice
There are MANY voiceover talents, good ones. I pride myself for being different from just voiceover talents, by bringing senior management and technology expertise to the table. If you need someone who can develop your product script from creative concept to finish, and then deliver the script with passion, and even ad lib confidently, I am your guy.
I am used to the stage, and not just recordings, but especially in “live” events. I am an experienced voice talent in both English and Mandarin (Chinese). I would love to be part of your marketing, advertising and communication campaigns that require a reassuring voice with soothing and learned authority, and a discernible optimism. Like to see some of my past work for TV, radio and professional speaking? Please visit the “Video & Audio” page to see some of my past work on TV, radio and professional speaking.
I have co-hosted on USA’s ZDTV Radio, TechTV Radio, and TechTV Live. I have also co-hosted segments on 93.8FM (English) and Capital 95.8FM (Mandarin).
I have a small home studio that can deliver MP3 and other digital recordings. I can put together simple background audio for your advertising, marketing, training, webcast and other uses. I can help you with voiceovers, narration, copywriting, scripting, jingles, song composition, and related services. And I have a full suite of videography equipment that can shoot HD (high-definition) video for corporate films, YouTube, Vimeo and other online video applications.
- “BIG thank you. You are really good and professional. I enjoyed especially the part where you interacted with the Keynote Speaker during Q&A. Cool!” – Emcee, large industry event.
- “You’ve been such a captivating speaker and my clients have given me nothing but praises about your presentation. :-)” – Opening keynote, IT security event.
- “Thank you for the very inspiring talk and for sharing your life story and experiences in business start-ups. Your audience was awed by your perseverance in pursuing your dreams.” – Keynote, career event.
- “It was a pleasure having you, you were a wonderful presenter. I think your keynote was received very well and caused people to pause to ponder the ‘larger issues in life’. It’s always refreshing to know that there are beacons of truth and friends like you in the business world.” – Keynote, regional corporate travel conference.
- “More interesting speakers like Seamus!” “Very informative, knowledgeable and interesting!” “Great speaker! Lively, interesting and enjoyable!” “His speech was exciting!” “Excellent!” – Keynote, government-led IT conference.
- “Wonderful talk! Very enlightening!” – Keynote, tech & branding event.
- “Excellent facilitation!” “Really cool facilitation!” “You did a really great job!” – Facilitator, government-led industry brainstorming event.
- “Very impressive moderation of the session!” “You did a great job!” – Facilitator, closed-door government-led CEO event.
- “Your presentation was great! Very interesting illustrations! The gameshow you led was highly commendable!” – Keynote & gameshow host, government-led conference (400+ people).
- “Excellent! Very interesting and informative! Well done, Seamus, for transforming a dry IT topic into an interesting session!” – Speaker, regional PR conference.
- “Great success! The audience just love your session!” – Keynote, eGov seminar.
- “Our privilege to have you. Thoroughly enjoyed your session.” – Highest rated speaker at a government-led IT seminar (350+ people).
- “Most impressed with your professional presentation, interesting content and captivating delivery.” – Keynote, national banking security & risk seminar.
- ” Excellent! Great presentation!” – Keynote, IT symposium (1,000+ people).
- “Excellent in presentation and moderation!” – Moderator, IT conference.
- “Brilliant and informative!” – Keynote, regional Incentive Travel event (400+ people).
- “Excellent and impactful presentation!” – Keynote, administrators conference.
- “Excellent in both presentation and content!” – Speaker, IT conference.