The stage has been a friend since I was in high school, whether debating, performing illusions, acting, or public speaking.
It was at once terrifying right up to the second before the play or speech, yet when I step up to the mic facing the audience, the fears gradually subsided and the substance on stage became the ball I juggle till its fruition and completion. The cold sweat of stage fright and the warm perspiration of frequent rehearsals were great reminders all things on stage took time, pains, and labor – and yet thoroughly enjoyable.
I have been frequently engaged as a professional keynote speaker, corporate trainer and meeting facilitator, speaking on and facilitating topics ranging from business leadership, strategy, marketing, Internet security, and social media. I have also found great joy sharing my journey of conquering physical, health and life challenges against the odds, with companies, non-profits, governments, and students. Now and then, I mentor executives in developing business and technology strategies, especially in the areas of publicity, branding, and new media.
Clients have flown me around to locations throughout Asia Pacific, Australia, North America, and Europe. I am happy to consider any reasonable location to speak, to facilitate, or to consult. And of course, my most often found physical location happens to be Singapore.
Some clients commented that my key strengths are my ability to deliver inspiring, thought-provoking and enriching content for top leaders, and bringing in light humor to temper the serious content. Clients also enjoy the deep well of industry and professional experience I bring to the table when facilitating challenging sessions for them, and they can always count on me to be quick on my feet and mind when assisting them in bringing all great ideas on the table and to help them distill these ideas into workable solutions they can immediately use.
IntrinSelling™ Primer – Sales Training
We have developed corporate sales training programs since the 1990s, for multinational corporations and emerging companies alike. If your company needs a quick primer to inspire your salespeople, the IntrinSelling™ Primer is your fastest route to sales effectiveness, developed and trained by our lead trainer Seamus Phan:
- Understanding the Behavior of Buying
- Primal (Primary) versus Learned (Secondary) buying desires
- 3-step Sales Cycle
- Building credibility in a sales process
- What is the Greatest Motivator?
- Non-Verbal Communication in sales
- Power of Mimicry
- 3 Types of Customers and the Lingo
- Case Studies
Media Training Primer™ (2 – 4 hours)
This is a succinct media training program for busy senior executives and CXOs. The primer will help the CXO understand the paradigm shift of a business leader to that of a media spokesperson, which have different requirements. The primer will go through both the human and the technical aspects of being a spokesperson, and prepare the CXO to be ready for any media interview, whether it be print (dailies/magazines), online, at “live” events and conferences, or on TV and radio. The short primer will end with a mock TV interview and the CXO can examine his “media appearance” with the facilitator.
- Selling vs Telling
- The Media’s agenda
- Fundamental questions
- Interview preparation (for print, online, TV/radio, events)
- What to say and provide to the media
- Interview dynamics
- Working in tandem with the journalist
- Difficult questions
- Crisis management basics with CRM (from aviation and medicine)
- Crisis communication basics
- Mock interview
Servant Leadership for Airlines (4 hours)
In the airline industry, safety is paramount. With automation and methodical pilot training, things may be relegated to machines and checklists. But what happens when extraordinary and “out-of-scope” abnormal conditions challenge pilots in the flightdeck? Do they rise up to exemplary and extraordinary leadership? This revised and improved training program, based on Seamus’ earlier work to teach “what’s next” leadership to corporations, is adapted for the airlines, with references to CRM, MCC, air safety, pilot selection and training, and pilot transition to leadership. The program is thought-provoking for participants to examine and integrate the wisdom of the samurai and early kingdoms, from the works such as Hagakure, Gorinosho, and the Three Kingdoms.
- The WHY of leadership
- CRM and its effects
- Pilot profile, assessment and selection
- Psychological profile and competencies
- Learning from the East
- Historical Three Kingdoms and lessons to be learned
- Leaders are warriors
- Learning from 17th century classic Hagakure
- Learning from 350-years old classic Gorinosho by Musashi
- Power of mindfulness in leadership
- Benevolent leadership that leapfrogs the ordinary
- Footprint business card™
“Leadership Secrets at 30,000 Feet” Workshops
I took lessons at the Flight Experience Singapore, and learned how to pilot a Boeing 737NG through the facility’s realistic flight simulator, instructed by real commercial pilots. Subsequently, I passed License 1, Preflight Endorsement, and License 2, which means I can now manage to “fly solo”, coldstart the sim, pushback, program the FMC, taxi, takeoff (depart), ascent, cruise, autopilot, descent, approach, land, and manage various crisis scenarios.
Flight Experience Singapore was founded by veteran pilot Captain Michael Caston, with over 40 years and 26,000 flight hours for British Airways and Singapore Airlines. Through the lessons, and passing License 2 at Flight Experience, I realized just how aviation and piloting best practices could be applied to business and leadership. Captain Caston initiated a discussion, and through some lively and creative meetings between us, and a new workshop was born – “Leadership Secrets at 30,000 Feet”. The workshop is highly experiential and hands-on, where CXOs, senior business leaders and managers, can be briefed on aviation best practices, and then apply these within the B737NG flight simulator, instructed by real pilots, and then synergize and integrate these time and field-proven ideas back at running their businesses, more effectively and more profitably.
- Pre-Simulator Briefing
- Simulator session (Crew of 4, for a total group of 16)
- Pre-flight briefing (SOPs, checklists, briefings)
- Flight from A to B (Choice of departure/destination, day/night/weather)
- Engine start (Taxi, take-off, minor problem solving)
- Cruise (Problem solving, decision-making, teamwork, threats, errors, automation, etc)
- Descent (Passenger handling, landing scenarios, etc)
Keynotes & Breakfast Talks
If you like to inspire your senior executives and front-liners to conquer personal and organizational challenges, talk to me for a short, impactful, and enlightening keynote speech. If time is tight, get me in for an early morning wake-up presentation, based on some of my previous books:
- Public Relations (PR)
- Media Training & Crisis Communication
- Branding, marketing & Web 2.0
- Social Media
- Mobile & Web Apps
- Conquering personal challenges to health
- Sales and marketing
- Customer Service / Service Quality
- Content Management, Knowledge Management, SEO
Customized Workshops & Event Facilitation
Not all organizations are created alike. I believe in tailoring programs to suit the specific needs of my customers whenever possible.
Many large and small organizations have benefitted from my customized training and facilitation, whether these programs are in areas of management, quality, service, publicity or technology. I pride myself as an open, engaging, knowledgeable facilitator who can bring my own knowledge and expertise to lead the sessions effectively, and to bring out the best ideas and solutions out from your people during these sessions.
Whether you are a large multinational corporation, government agency, non-profit, an emerging enterprise, or a startup with great dreams, I will be happy to serve you!
Corporate Event Host
What makes a great event besides a great menu of content and cuisine?
A great facilitator who can help smooth the event to ensure every little turn and every detail in the event agenda is properly managed. It takes leadership, self-empowerment, cultural sensitivity, a good sense of humor, steady nerves, good platform speaking skills, and most of all, sensitivity to people and their needs.
So if you are looking for someone to host or emcee your events, dinners, cocktails, ceremonies, game shows, exhibitions and conferences, especially someone with a reassuring voice with soothing and learned authority, optimism and good humor – let’s talk!
Speaking and being on stage is natural for me. I have speaking and acting on stage in my teens, humble starting points which helped me solidify my professional interests.
I have been using my voice and stage presence professionally (fee-based and inhouse) since 1987, in corporate training, professional speaking, meeting facilitation, “live” corporate events, and subsequently, also TV and radio hosting for international broadcast media.
Not just an emcee – 30 years industry experience
I am not just an emcee or host. I bring to you nearly 30 years of professional, industry, and consulting experience. I understand your business, I understand what is needed during “live” events and you can count on me to ensure a smooth execution and to fill in the empty spaces with my knowledge and experience. If you are in specialized fields such as information technology, Internet, biotech, medicine, pharmaceuticals, sciences, and anything high-tech, you can be sure that I can lend a powerful, compelling, believable and credible voice to your “live” events.
Voice talent – a soothing broadcast voice
There are MANY voiceover talents, good ones. I pride myself for being different from just voiceover talents, by bringing senior management and technology expertise to the table. If you need someone who can develop your product script from creative concept to finish, and then deliver the script with passion, and even ad lib confidently, I am your guy.
I am used to the stage, and not just recordings, but especially in “live” events. I am an experienced voice talent in both English and Mandarin (Chinese). I would love to be part of your marketing, advertising and communication campaigns that require a reassuring voice with soothing and learned authority, and a discernible optimism. Like to see some of my past work for TV, radio and professional speaking? Please visit the “Video & Audio” page to see some of my past work on TV, radio and professional speaking.
I have co-hosted on USA’s ZDTV Radio, TechTV Radio, and TechTV Live. I have also co-hosted segments on 93.8FM (English) and Capital 95.8FM (Mandarin).
I have a small home studio that can deliver MP3 and other digital recordings. I can put together simple background audio for your advertising, marketing, training, webcast and other uses. I can help you with voiceovers, narration, copywriting, scripting, jingles, song composition, and related services. And I have a full suite of videography equipment that can shoot HD (high-definition) video for corporate films, YouTube, Vimeo and other online video applications.
- “BIG thank you. You are really good and professional. I enjoyed especially the part where you interacted with the Keynote Speaker during Q&A. Cool!” – Emcee, large industry event.
- “You’ve been such a captivating speaker and my clients have given me nothing but praises about your presentation. :-)” – Opening keynote, IT security event.
- “Thank you for the very inspiring talk and for sharing your life story and experiences in business start-ups. Your audience was awed by your perseverance in pursuing your dreams.” – Keynote, career event.
- “It was a pleasure having you, you were a wonderful presenter. I think your keynote was received very well and caused people to pause to ponder the ‘larger issues in life’. It’s always refreshing to know that there are beacons of truth and friends like you in the business world.” – Keynote, regional corporate travel conference.
- “More interesting speakers like Seamus!” “Very informative, knowledgeable and interesting!” “Great speaker! Lively, interesting and enjoyable!” “His speech was exciting!” “Excellent!” – Keynote, government-led IT conference.
- “Wonderful talk! Very enlightening!” – Keynote, tech & branding event.
- “Excellent facilitation!” “Really cool facilitation!” “You did a really great job!” – Facilitator, government-led industry brainstorming event.
- “Very impressive moderation of the session!” “You did a great job!” – Facilitator, closed-door government-led CEO event.
- “Your presentation was great! Very interesting illustrations! The gameshow you led was highly commendable!” – Keynote & gameshow host, government-led conference (400+ people).
- “Excellent! Very interesting and informative! Well done, Seamus, for transforming a dry IT topic into an interesting session!” – Speaker, regional PR conference.
- “Great success! The audience just love your session!” – Keynote, eGov seminar.
- “Our privilege to have you. Thoroughly enjoyed your session.” – Highest rated speaker at a government-led IT seminar (350+ people).
- “Most impressed with your professional presentation, interesting content and captivating delivery.” – Keynote, national banking security & risk seminar.
- ” Excellent! Great presentation!” – Keynote, IT symposium (1,000+ people).
- “Excellent in presentation and moderation!” – Moderator, IT conference.
- “Brilliant and informative!” – Keynote, regional Incentive Travel event (400+ people).
- “Excellent and impactful presentation!” – Keynote, administrators conference.
- “Excellent in both presentation and content!” – Speaker, IT conference.